Translate

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Struggling to Get Out of the House

Three weeks ago, I left on my usual yearly road trip. I wanted to leave on Monday or Tuesday of that week, but it wasn't until Wednesday that I finally could get myself together enough to head out. Even then, I left the house so late in the day that I only made it to western Maryland before calling it a night at Spring Gap Campground along the C&O Canal Towpath

Depression sucks like that. I had the same issues last year as well. 

I'd changed the oil the day before in the Crosstrek, and I actually started the trip with a quick stop at the local grocery market and the nearby carwash. 

Me demonstrating the proper way to pour oil so that it doesn't slop all over the place. 

My driving companions for the first week and a half

Fresh and clean!

Since I had a late start, I knew I wasn't going to get super far on the trip and made the reservation at Spring Gap before I left the house. Campsite 1 was reserved for the whole week, and everything else was open. I opted for site 5 to give whoever it was at 1 plenty of space. 

I rolled into the campground around 5:30PM and set up my little tent. For those new to my adventures, this is a "Rhinowolf" tent which I bought via Kickstarter a few years ago; they have since apparently gone out of business. Anyway, one of the selling points for this tent was that single tents could be zipped together. So for the first part of the road trip, you'll see my green single tent, and after Pat joins me, you'll see his blue tent zipped together with my green one. 

My campsite at Spring Gap

As I put up my tent and contemplated what to do for dinner, I did notice that site 1 was very occupied; there was at least one family there with at least two dogs. Everyone (including the dogs) was super friendly, and the kids were kind of goofy and totally into fishing for catfish. A group of cyclists came by while I was settling in and set up in the group camping area at the "end" of the campground. And, in site 3 there was a small pop-up tent and a couple of chairs, but no one else around. 

I decided to wander up the towpath;"up" the towpath always means "towards Cumberland" to me for some reason, while "down" the towpath is "towards Georgetown. I'd last been in this area almost a year ago to the day when I camped here on the first night of my 2021 road trip. No surprise that there were things to see. 

Ruins of bridges are somewhat frequent along the towpath. It's not clear if this was for a train crossing or a road (automobile) crossing

At first I was like, "Yay! A turtle!" and then I was like, "OMG, it's dead," and I was very sad. There was no evidence of trauma to the shell.

Storms have been fairly frequent and brought down a lot of trees in Western Maryland this spring and summer

Lock 72. There are three more locks upstream of this; they are the last three locks on the canal. 

Sunset on the Potomac River at the Spring Gap boat ramp

I didn't bring any wood with me, and it was warm enough I didn't really want to start a fire anyway. Around 8:45, I checked my phone's battery and service levels because it was getting close to #ParkChat time. There's nothing like participating in #ParkChat while being in a park! 🤣

Some foreshadowing occurred during the #ParkChat conversation....

And then just after 10PM, it was all done. I was tired of trying to keep the mosquitoes at bay (the repellant and the Thermacell can only do so much), so I retired to the tent. 

Sadly, around midnight, the mysterious campers at site 3 showed up, lights ablazing directly towards my tent. They were loud. They were shining lights every which way. They were clearly drunk. It was Camp Groinia all over again, minus the lighter fluid shots and 30 degree weather. With the National Park Service short staffed, plus knowing that rangers on the 184.5 mile towpath are often spaced quite far apart, I just gritted my teeth, put my good ear to the pillow and tried to ignore it. 

I have to admit though that I, the cyclists at the group campsite and the family(ies?) at site 1 made absolutely zero effort to be quiet as dawn broke. The hungover jerkwads were clearly struggling as the rest of us did our morning things with just an extra touch of noise

Carolina horsenettle

From the campground, I headed into Cumberland to poke around at the very end of the towpath and beginning of the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) trail. The visitor center was closed, so I just wandered around and looked at the railroad cars and caboose that were there. I was testing my ability to figure out when they were built, something I was taught years ago when visiting the Western Maryland Railway Museum in Union Bridge. 

There should be something that says "BLT" with numbers for the month and year, but evidently these are repaints.
 

The trucks have the manufacturing date built into them. These are from January 1957.

Pat had been talking about maybe getting tickets to a train ride out of Durango, CO as part of the road trip, so maybe that's why I stopped here. I do know that I would like to do one of the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad trips some time. 

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad Depot

I headed out from Cumberland with no real plan in mind. After tossing around some ideas in my head, I decided to go to Cuyahoga Valley National Park, since it had been a few years and it wasn't all that far away. Waze took me off I-68 and up to the Pennsylvania Turnpike, joining the turnpike from an area where Pat and I had stopped on the way out to Detroit in the spring. 

I rolled into the Boston Mill Visitor Center parking, parked next to a cool gray khaki Crosstrek twin, and headed towards the visitor center when I saw a group of people next to a sign that said "Citizen Science." I remarked, "That's cool! I need to do more of that with my students," and next thing I know, they invited me to join them. It was a group of rangers and park employees/volunteers who were looking at the pollinators in the areas around the visitor center over a few weeks time. We started by looking at the different types of flowering plants we saw, and using iNaturalist to identify them as needed. We also estimated what percentage of the surveyed area was covered with each type of plant. Then we went back and started looking for pollinators, and again, used iNaturalist to identify them. We also added our findings to a group on iNaturalist (that's the citizen science part!), to help with the documentation of which pollinators were found with which type of flower. 

I totally want to do something like this with my students this year!

Don't you park next to your car-twin when you can? 



Ranger Chuck is the brains behind this citizen science project

It wasn't always clear if something was a pollinator or just happened to be in the flower

This is a pollinator, on red clover

Wild carrot (Queen Anne's lace) was one of the predominant flowering plants in the area we surveyed

After my work-related diversion, it was suggested to me that the Ledges Trail would be a literally cool place to visit for some hiking. With the tall trees, hidden springs and small caves, a cool breeze was present during much of the trek around the ledges area. 

The Civilian Conservation Corps left their mark throughout this area of the park.

The rock faces were marred with these honey-comb patterns from years of rain washing over them. It made me think of boxwork in Wind Cave.

It was quiet, cool and peaceful among these rocks.

One of the many small springs

Life finds a way

A jelly fungus

I finished the day by getting a campsite at a nearby KOA campground, one that Pat and I stayed at on the end of our 2019 trip. They've made some improvements, including covered picnic tables since we were last there. I heated up some water to rehydrate some spicy sausage pasta, which turned out to be one of the best dehydrated meals I've had (good enough that I literally sought out a Cabelas later in the trip just to buy some more!). 

This was a great spot

The trusty Biolite campstove with the kettlepot "attachment". This thing has been so great over the past 8 or so years since I bought it.

Spicy sausage pasta

The sunset made the sky look to be on fire as I wound down for sleep. I had no idea where I'd be going the next day, and I would figure it out as I went along. 

Goodnight

note that some links are associate links where I get minimal compensation for any purchases made through them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment