Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2020

COVID Quarantine : Separating Work and Play

One of the most exhausting things about working at home is making sure to separate work from personal life. As a teacher, especially a department chair, I already know how difficult it is to create borders in a digital world. Checking work email while at home was something I finally put a stop to during this school year.

Then the governor's orders came down, and school closures through April 24 have me checking work email, text messages from administrators and students, and more. After a near mental breakdown during the first week of closure, where I ended up barely getting out of bed for five days straight, I made some personal commitments where I will not check or respond to work emails or texts. I have been adamant about these personal boundaries over the past three weeks, to the point of refusing to accept meeting times that would interfere.

I've also started looking at ways to expand that separation to dividing personal and pseudo-work, as well. Since I was accepted into the Subaru Ambassador program in late 2016, I've been using my Triskelion Racing Facebook page, as well as my personal Twitter and Instagram as part of my brand ambassadorship. Earlier this week, I took the opportunity to separate out that as well.

Go ahead and give the accounts a follow on Instagram and Twitter!

Maybe next, I'll start working on some things for my Etsy page, considering I should have a lot more free time (and, sadly, less income) this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment