Translate

Sunday, April 26, 2020

COVID Quarantine : Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0 Recipe

The Belgian Quad (Boxer Rumble) continues to ferment away. The airlock still bubbles, and when I look under the blanket, it is still quite foamy. I won't bottle it until the yeast has exhausted itself in the secondary.

still bubbling

As usual, if you just want the recipe, please go to the end.

Next weekend is the annual Big Brew celebration for homebrewers. As an AHA member, I'm debating if I want to join in, as I still haven't bottled Boxer Rumble, and we also have the rest of my Smoldering Cupid as well as Pat's Intensive Purposes

I'm half-thinking of trying the Quarantine IPA recipe or maybe just brewing a batch of either Smoldering Fire or Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0

I haven't done Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0 for a while. It's my Starfruit IPA recipe, and I know I still have some starfruit in the freezer.

First off, I should explain my beer names. Most of them are car related; Blown Turbo Seal, Duryea 13, and Boxer Rumble are all examples of the car related ones. Others are related to beers I brew for special occasions, usually for something related to my #404Family, that is, my Capitals Season Ticket Holder "family." We go out of town for various things, such as Hershey Bears games or out of town Caps games or even road trips together. So beers like #404Family Hershey Road Trip and #404Family Komrade Stanley are for those. 

Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0 was supposed to be a #404Family beer, in commemoration of a Roanoke road trip to the Deschutes brew pub there. That was the whole point of the starfruit; Roanoke is the Star City, and the starfruit was the ingredient that went along with that. But, for whatever reason, the road trip failed to materialize, but the beer was brewed. It needed a new name. 

Buckminster Fuller, a prominent scientist known for the geodesic dome shape, also believed in the dymaxion ideal of minimal energy input for maximum advantage. He attached the term to a multitude of things, including a house, a journal, a sleep schedule and, yes, a car. It was not a pretty car. That's where Hellstar and 5.0 come in. 

not a pretty car at all; in fact, considered a death trap (from wsj.com)

My first Dymaxion Hellstar recipe was a half-assed attempt to do something similar to the old DuClaw Brewing beer I loved so much, Hellrazer. I did intend to use starfruit in the original, but they weren't in season, and so I just went with the rest of the recipe, intending to use the same recipe later, just adding starfruit. Except, I wasn't happy with how it turned out. 

So, I retooled it, and tried again. With starfruit.




A post shared by Karen (@kiirenza) on



A post shared by Karen (@kiirenza) on

I kept the hops pretty much the same as the first recipe, but I redid the grains. The new version was a lot better, and that's where the "5.0" comes in. 

When I first started autocrossing, it was in 1993. My boyfriend at the time had a pretty plain looking car he'd bought new, and because it was a coupe, a lot of people obviously thought the driver (him most of the time, but me occasionally, and even my brother once) had stuck 5.0 badges on it, when it still had them.

1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 sleeper
This is the car I learned to autocross in, and learned to drag race in. I did a 12.73 at 75-80 Dragway in this car. I put this car sideways on Clemsonville Rd, goofing off by myself. My brother devastated a trash talker at a former place of work with this car. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Fox-body coupes because of this car. 

I digress. The 5.0 for Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0 just denotes a better, more powerful version, just like the Ford Mustang LX 5.0 was a better, more powerful version of the 4-cylinder Mustang LX.


View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Karen (@kiirenza) on

So, without further talk, here's the recipe for Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0.... if you can find the magic ingredient of starfruit!

Dymaxion Hellstar 5.0

Ingredients List
  • 1 lb Caravienne, crushed
  • 1 lb Carapils, crushed
  • 3.3lb CBW Pilsen Light liquid malt extract (2)
  • starfruit (5 or about 5lb total)
  • 1oz. Galena hops (2)
  • 1oz. New Zealand Motueka hops (3)
  • White Labs California Ale yeast (WLP001)
  • 5oz. of priming sugar (corn sugar)
Bring ~2.5 gallons of water to between 145-150F. Using a cheesecloth bag, steep the grains for 30 minutes. Squeeze the grain bag as it is removed. 

Bring the wort to a boil. While stirring, add the liquid malt extract and two starfruit (~1.5lb), sliced. If necessary, return to boil.

Set a timer for 60 minutes. Quickly add 1oz of Galena hops and start the timer. After 15 minutes, add another 1oz of Galena hops. After 15 more minutes (total of 30 minutes elapsed), add 1oz of New Zealand Motueka hops. After 30 more minutes (at the end of the 60 minutes), remove the wort from heat and start cooling in sink by surrounding the brewpot with ice. 

While the wort is cooling, sanitize the primary fermentation bucket, siphon, thermometer and any other utensils that will be used. Add about 1.5 gallons of cool water to the fermentation bucket. Once the wort is about 80-90F, use a siphon to transfer it to the fermenting bucket. Avoid adding the dregs (hops) from the bottom of the pot. Add cool water to bring the total volume to about 5 gallons, then stir with sanitized paddle or spoon to make sure wort and water are mixed. Check the specific gravity; it should be about 1.045-1.055.

Once the wort is below 80F (check with a sanitized thermometer), pitch the yeast, then close the fermenting bucket. 

After ~7 days at 68-72F, use a sanitized siphon to transfer the beer to a sanitized secondary fermenting vessel. Take a sample to check the specific gravity. Avoid transferring the dregs from the bottom of the bucket. Add in ~3 starfruit (2-3 lbs) that have been cut up into slices or cubes. Seal the secondary vessel (cover with a blanket if necessary). Specific gravity should be about 1.010-1.015.

After ~5-7 days at 68-72F, transfer the beer to a bottling bucket. Boil 5oz. of priming sugar in 2.5cups of water; cool and then add to the beer. Mix with a sanitized spoon or paddle. Sanitize and dry all bottles to be used, as well as the caps if not using swing-top bottles. Fill each bottle just to where the neck of the bottle begins, then cap. You can check the specific gravity one more time; it should still be in the 1.010-1.015 range.

Let the bottles stay in a cool (68-72F) and dark area for at least a week and a half for carbonation. It's better to wait at least two weeks before refrigerating any of the beer and enjoying it. 

Let me know if you try the recipe! And check out my previous post that includes information about basic equipment if you need it!

If you find that Maryland Homebrew doesn't ship to your address for some reason, and you don't have a homebrew shop local to you so you want to order materials via Amazon, here's a shopping list for you to get started. Please try to shop local, though; you can't be guaranteed that things you buy via Amazon will be fresh!




No comments:

Post a Comment