Translate

Friday, July 10, 2009

Compression Perfection

The WRX was at IAG for the pre-dyno inspection and 60K service on Wednesday. While it was there, I had them install the up-pipe and CAI that Billy at Mode Racing had sent.

The verdict? The compression had extremely little variance across the board -- 136, 137, 135, 139 -- pretty excellent for a car that has been ridden hard for the last year, especially with the power mods done over the last two months. I guess the previous owner did take care of the car pretty well during the 15K he owned it. Rick at IAG said that it's more usual to see up to a 10% variance between the cylinders.

Now, I've been using Mobil 1 5W30 since I bought the car, but I let them do the oil change with Motul 8100 5W40, since so many Subaru owners complain about the Mobil 1. I know I haven't had issues with Mobil 1 in my green Camaro Z28 1LE that currently has right around 390K on the odometer, but I also know that the formulation has changed in the past few years, so maybe there are better alternatives.

The dyno tuning session is scheduled for 5:30 tomorrow evening. I dropped the car off at Gabe's this morning, and he's going to take it there and report back (and hopefully take a picture or two). I have no idea what to expect out of it, but it's going to get a race fuel map as well as the 93 octane map. We'll see.

In the meantime, I'm still pondering how two different mechanical engineers can come to opposite conclusions on the need for a rear swaybar.

1 comment:

  1. Well, considering that 3 mechanical engineers managed to install Tara's swaybar upside down and backwards which effectively turned her car into a hardtail... do you really trust us?

    Answer: there's more than one way to skin a cat, and the WRX rear diff makes the rear bar question a peculiar one.

    -Chris Perera

    ReplyDelete