Saturday, March 29, 2014

Followup : Mishimoto Induction Hose Install

Last weekend, I installed my new turbo inlet hose, and left off with an issue with my power steering. When I got home from work on Monday, I poked around, and sure enough, the fluid was cavitating like no one's business. Looking around on the Internet, I found a video of someone with the same problem who explained a simple fix.

As it turns out, this is KatieO's "Rumblewagon," and the fix was as explained to her and her husband by JJ at IAG. When JJ saw that I'd posted this video, asking if anyone else knew anything about the issue, he responded to call the shop. I called on Tuesday and was told to replace the spring type clamps on the power steering "suction hose" with screw type clamps (not that I didn't want to do that anyway!), and if that didn't do the trick, then do the O-ring.

I decided to do the O-ring, the clamps and just plain replace the hose. For one, the old hose was pretty stiff, no longer flexible. I'm sure that the power steering problem was caused when some pressure was applied to the hose during the inlet install. Due to its inflexibility and the type of clamp on it, the seal at the power steering pump lost integrity. The new hose with new clamps solved that issue, and the new O-ring was just insurance; the old O-ring was pretty inflexible too.

As an added bonus, I have all new synthetic ATF fluid in the power steering. Yes, I made an awesome mess in the garage.

During the power steering fix, the UPS guy stopped by with a little box from Mishimoto that included a new coupler I'd ordered. That was a pretty easy install, and makes the inlet look better than the cheapy coupler I'd picked up from Autozone.


While I was messing around, I installed another goody that I picked up Friday, and that is the Perrin master cylinder brace. I looked at these previously, but at the time, they weren't legal in Street Prepared, and I didn't have the room to put it in anyway with the external reservoirs that were part of the AST 5200 struts I was using.
A pretty easy install
This was a pretty easy install -- just remove the 10mm bolts holding the fuel line bracket, pop out the clip holding some vacuum lines against the fender, jack the car up for room to get to the fender well, and then bolt it in. Just make sure you have the appropriate allen wrenches for the Perrin-supplied bolts. Oh, and I should note that it helps to have small hands to maneuver around amidst all the hoses. ;)

So, hopefully the weather holds tomorrow so I can go to Hershey for the Susquehanna SCCA event!

No comments:

Post a Comment