As it turns out, this is KatieO's "Rumblewagon," and the fix was as explained to her and her husband by JJ at IAG. When JJ saw that I'd posted this video, asking if anyone else knew anything about the issue, he responded to call the shop. I called on Tuesday and was told to replace the spring type clamps on the power steering "suction hose" with screw type clamps (not that I didn't want to do that anyway!), and if that didn't do the trick, then do the O-ring.
I decided to do the O-ring, the clamps and just plain replace the hose. For one, the old hose was pretty stiff, no longer flexible. I'm sure that the power steering problem was caused when some pressure was applied to the hose during the inlet install. Due to its inflexibility and the type of clamp on it, the seal at the power steering pump lost integrity. The new hose with new clamps solved that issue, and the new O-ring was just insurance; the old O-ring was pretty inflexible too.
As an added bonus, I have all new synthetic ATF fluid in the power steering. Yes, I made an awesome mess in the garage.
During the power steering fix, the UPS guy stopped by with a little box from Mishimoto that included a new coupler I'd ordered. That was a pretty easy install, and makes the inlet look better than the cheapy coupler I'd picked up from Autozone.
While I was messing around, I installed another goody that I picked up Friday, and that is the Perrin master cylinder brace. I looked at these previously, but at the time, they weren't legal in Street Prepared, and I didn't have the room to put it in anyway with the external reservoirs that were part of the AST 5200 struts I was using.
|A pretty easy install|
So, hopefully the weather holds tomorrow so I can go to Hershey for the Susquehanna SCCA event!