Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Lazy Sunday

Pat woke me up this morning to go fishing on the Potomac. I am not an early riser by any means, but I dragged myself out of bed and grabbed my rods and bag.

He'd restrung two of my reels last night, so I felt obliged to bring all three of my rods. He also graciously gave me some campground tubes and a few jigs for them, so I scooped those up and into my gear.

Today's destination was Antietam Campground, which we last hit before my road trip. Considering I'd caught walleye at Dam 4 on Thursday, I was hopeful to continue the streak.

Pat trekked upriver, towards his current favorite spot, while I walked downriver to where I caught the walleye last time here. The river was very still, and a bald eagle flew overhead.

I started off with the Whopper-Plopper, and in the first thirty minutes, had three solid hits. The last one, I even almost landed the damned fish before it shook off the lure and swam away. Topwater lures are awful like that. You get frustrated, and say "One more cast!" and then you get a hit, and you just want to keep casting.

Stupid topwater.

So, after being teased with the Whopper-Plopper, I finally switched over to swimbait. Second cast in, and I've got another hit!
Not a very big fish
It fought well, and I was happy to actually bring it in after the topwater failures.

Shortly thereafter, two other guys showed up and started fishing maybe twenty yards from me. I was a bit annoyed, and intentionally cast near them to show my annoyance. They moved further away and cast downriver after that, though they never left the area.

I think they were a jinx. The only fish I saw after they showed up was a big 'ol carp that startled me, swimming maybe eighteen inches from my feet.
Carp don't care. Kinda like musky, but no one wants to catch a carp
Meanwhile, Pat says he caught five fish, though the fifth one was allegedly sixteen inches and there is no photo...

Maybe I'll go fishing tomorrow, pre-eclipse. It'll be my last time for weekday fishing for a while, as I have to go back to work on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment